My favorite quote for today . . .

"Those who bring sunshine

to the lives of others

cannot keep it

from themselves."

-James Barrie

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Austin's Baptism

I can't believe it has already come and gone . . .
my baby is 8 and now he's been baptized.
I couldn't be more proud of Austin.
He told us after his baptism that he had prayed that he would feel the spirit and that "IT HAD WORKED!" (He said . . . excitedly.)
We knew that Austin was really intent on listening and soaking in the moments. He was taking his decision to be baptized very seriously. When Uncle Greg got up and talked to Austin, Austin's eyes actually filled with tears and he put his head down. I could tell he was touched. He told John a few minutes later that they were happy tears and that he was feeling the spirit. He experienced the same thing several more times in the next few minutes. There's nothing I could want more for my son on his baptism day than that.
In all my efforts to make this day special for him, it really just came down to him feeling the spirit and having that desire to do what he knows is right.
What more could I ask for?
I tried to prepare things for Austin's baptism day. We planned a nice program and Austin learned a baptism song on the piano.
We had lots of friends and family come to support him and we had some delicious refreshments. I put together a cute slide show of his life and we even ended up having some pretty flowers . . .
(despite a late start and a bit of a frazzled, frustrated me.)
These things were all nice, but the real preparations for Austin's baptism day have been happening for years. They have been happening at home as we talk to and teach our children. They have happened at church as he attends primary and hears the lessons and songs. They have happened as we've prayed and we read our scriptures as a family. And most importantly, they happened when Austin prayed that he would feel the spirit.
Austin's baptism went beautifully. It went beautifully because he was ready and happy to be there. He understood the importance of what he was doing and was spiritually prepared. If no one else was in attendance, if we didn't have a slide show or refreshments or a single flower on the table, Austin's baptism would have gone just as beautifully. It was beautiful because of the ordinance that it is, the spirit that attended and the path that he is choosing for his life.
I am blessed with a wonderful son and I am so proud of him!

3 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

it really was a wonderful occasion! i felt the spirit, too, in spite of my children being WILD and CRAZY the entire time. argh!

Smith Family said...

Wow! I wish I could have made it there. I cried just reading your blog. I am so proud of my Austin bo Boston! Give him a big hug from me!

Anonymous said...

simply amazing! what a beautiful memory you have of the day :) hugs!!