I love Austin, he's a good boy. And he's definitely a boy. He likes to be loud & make obnoxious noises, (especially at the table.) He teases and taunts his sister and plays his share of electronic games. He does plenty of other standard boy stuff too, I'm definitely not worried about his masculinity.
He doesn't get those things from me though. Those are definitely boy genes. However, he gets a few other things from me and this week we had a little victory for the female compassion that I'm passing on!
As I've previously mentioned, my husband is a fisherman. Therefore, the kids are too, and they really like to do it. They don't kill the fish. Don't get me wrong, we eat fish. It's Austin's favorite food, but the kids have never been involved in that part of fishing. They always throw the fish back after they catch them and admire them.
Well, this weekend John took Austin fishing with another plan in mind. They wanted to catch crawfish and he intended to use the fish they caught for crawfish bait. This inevitably meant death for the fish. Well, Austin would have no part of that. I wasn't there, but I guess he raised quite a stink about not killing the fish. So, instead of using it for bait to catch crawfish, they let it go. Woo hoo! That's my boy.
I actually never heard the end of this story until the day after it happened. You see when they got home, I was so busy complaining about them being late that I didn't get to hear all about their fishing trip. Had I known it was so noteworthy, I would have stopped and listened long enough to get the details of how my compassionate little boy saved a fish!
Silly, I know, but I'm glad some of my sensitivity is wearing off on him. I'm glad he has a soft heart. I wouldn't have wanted to kill the fish either. :-)
My favorite quote for today . . .
"Those who bring sunshine
to the lives of others
cannot keep it
from themselves."
-James Barrie
to the lives of others
cannot keep it
from themselves."
-James Barrie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment