I had an interesting converstaion with my kids on Sunday. It was late afternoon and everyone had come home from church hungry, of course. They had a little snack and went off to change clothes and entertain themselves in various ways while I figured out dinner.
Cooking is not my strength. I am not real creative with meals and don't have a lot of interest in spending much time in the kitchen. I quickly got some chicken breasts into the oven and prepared some frozen broccoli and minute rice. I threw some bagged salad into the mix and ta-da, dinner. It was about as basic as it gets.
My poor hungry kids sure seemed to think otherwise. The smell of food drew them into kitchen where they excitedly looked into the various pots and pans. I was setting the table when one of them asked,
"Who are we taking dinner to?"
I answered that we weren't taking dinner to anyone, that it was for us to eat.
"Aren't you hungry?" I asked them.
They both responded that indeed they were hungry, but that usually when I make things "like that" it was for someone else. :-0 What?? As opposed to the frozen pizza or macaroni & cheese I usually make for them. So true, and so sad.
The whole family scarfed down the healthiest meal they've had all month. They were so easily impressed, and complimentary that I actually cooked dinner again on Monday. Well, ok, we had the missionaries from church over, so I kind of had to. Thus, proving their point, that I only cook decent food when it's for someone else. Today it's leftovers, we made extra on purpose. I can't cook 3 days in a row! I have laundry to do.
Speaking of food and cute things kids say...
Our favorite cute baby words that Cameron is using this week are:
"cookoo" - meaning cookie, or cracker. It's very cute and he'd like to have them all the time, so he uses it a lot.
"nanna" - meaning banana, of course, also very cute. He says this a lot too, because they are sitting out on the counter and he usually points and talks about them when he's in the kitchen.
Cameron and I have the greatest conversations these days and he's great company. I sure love, love, love my kiddos.
My favorite quote for today . . .
"Those who bring sunshine
to the lives of others
cannot keep it
from themselves."
-James Barrie
to the lives of others
cannot keep it
from themselves."
-James Barrie
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
i totally laughed when reading this line: "I can't cook 3 days in a row! I have laundry to do." ;) too funny.
but i know what you mean - this is me every night at 7pm..."so what should we have for dinner?..." which means everyone eats and heads up to bed immediately afterward because it's so stinkin late!
Three days in a row? You've inspired me. Maybe I'll cook tomorrow. Or the next day. On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't rush things.
Post a Comment