Somehow, parenting is everything and nothing like I imagined it would be. I would say, without a doubt, the best and worst part of being a Mom is watching my kids grow up. It's so fun to cheer them on as they reach milestones and accomplish goals.


Where does
the time go?
But then one day, you look up and suddenly they're taller than you and ready to go make their own way in the world....
I knew this time was coming, but it kind of hit me over the head like a 2x4. I wasn't ready. I'll be honest, it's been very hard to let go of my little boy. I've learned that I'm a bit of a control freak and I like to be involved in every part of my kid's lives. There comes a point when kids no longer need Mom like they used to. The urge to be independent, spread their wings and make their own choices takes over and Mama is left wondering where the time went.
When my kids were babies, I can't begin to count the number of times I was told to "cherish the moments" and "enjoy them while they're young, because they grow up so fast." I tried so hard to do that. I really tried. Yet, the years flew by and what seems like yesterday are memories of years gone by.
Austin decided about a year ago that he wanted to graduate from high school a year early. Once he puts his mind to something, there's no changing it, so graduate a year early he did. That's a great accomplishment and I'm proud of all the hard work he put in over the years that made it possible for him to meet that goal. But selfishly, I wasn't ready. I wanted more time. I still want more time, but we can't freeze time and we can't get it back. So, I decided to embrace the moment and enjoy these days before they're gone too. I miss my little boy, but I also love the young man that he's grown into. It's a hard place for a Mom to be. This is my first experience learning to let go and entering a new phase of life as a parent.

Most importantly, I want Austin to be happy and to continue to reach for the stars. I know he's capable of amazing things and I can't wait to see what the future holds as we navigate this new sea of life together. Congratulations to my baby boy! "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."

















No comments:
Post a Comment